Michael J. Higdon
- Seasoned, licensed professional plumber with 35 years of experience in all aspects of the trade.
- 12 years in management and supervisory positions leading crews (up to 25 plumbers).
- 20+ years in new commercial construction and 10 years in remodeling, residential and service.
- Experience in restaurants, retail stores, schools, hospitals, surgery centers, professional offices, shopping malls, entertainment/theme
parks,federal/state/municipal government facilities (NASA, DOT and local), manufacturing plants, hotels/resorts and recycling facilities.
Design and execution of layouts and rough ins including grease and lint traps; material takeoff from blueprints; ordering materials and scheduling deliveries;
coordinating projects with GCs, project managers and other trades; preparation of as-built drawing for deviations from blueprints; planning 3-week look aheads;
scheduling inspections; conducting walkthroughs with architects, engineers, inspectors and fire marshals; labor assignment; onsite staff management; personnel
management including interviewing, hiring and firing; staff training; conducting weekly safety meetings and equipment inspections; inventory control and management;
completion of punch lists; conducting bacterial tests for domestic water; and pipe ID/valve tagging with chart preparation.
Completing projects from underground through fixture and equipment setting; operating backhoes, mini excavators, front end loaders, scissor/boom lifts,
gas/diesel/electric fork lifts, all trade-related gas and electric power tools; complying with codes/specifications.
Medical (autoclaves, vacuum pumps, medical gas alarm panels and tank manifolds, zone valves, hyperbolic chamber piping, surgical sinks, foot and knee control faucets,
and dirty room hoppers); Restaurant (commercial-grade gas and electric water heaters, kitchen equipment including dishwashing systems and disposals, steamers,
convection ovens, and gas grills); General (all commercial and residential bathroom fixtures, kitchen and break room equipment, electric water coolers,
residential/office-grade gas and electric water heaters, reverse osmosis water filters, commercial-grade laundry equipment [washers, dryers and pressers], lint traps,
piping Liebert units for mainframe computers, chilled water and condensate piping for air handling units, heating water supplies and returns, and ½ through 12-inch
reduced-flow backflow preventers [residential and commercial]).
PVC, CPVC, pex pipe and fittings, copper, cast iron, black iron, ductile iron with mechanical joint fittings, acid waste piping, drain waste and vent (DMV),
water/storm/gas/air lines, and medical gas piping.
Plumber Foreman, W.N. Kirkland Mechanical, Inc., Spartanburg, SC, 03/09 09/09
- Led crew of 4 plumbers at city government community center new construction project.
- Responsible for all above-ground piping, including waste, water, storm and natural gas.
- Completed several commercial/residential new and remodeling projects (all aspects of trade).
- Laid off due to lack of work and company downsizing.
Field Manager, Cox Plumbing of Orlando, Longwood, FL, 10/06 07/08
- Headed plumbing team of 25 for new projects including 1 tilt panel elementary school, 3 tilt panel office buildings, 3 community center buildings and 2 gas stations.
- Completed remodeling of 1 condominium complex and 3 gas stations.
- Supervised installation of medical gas system and piping of hyperbolic chamber at clinic.
Lead Man to Foreman, R&R Mechanical, Deltona, FL, 06/04 10/06
- Supervised 10 plumbers/helpers in new construction of 2 tilt panel middle schools (12 buildings).
- Installed all phases of plumbing when not performing layout, supervisory and inventory duties.
Supervisor/Plumber, Snyder Plumbing, Winter Park, FL, 04
- Led installation at ambulatory surgery center in Palatka, FL.
Lead Man to Foreman, Randall Mechanical, Sanford, FL, 02 04
- Supervised crew of 10 in construction of 6 new tilt panel middle school buildings.
- Served as plumber/lead man on 2 high school projects (1 tilt panel, 1 CMU).
- Ran and supervised acid waste piping on CMU high school project.
Supervisor/Plumber, Modern Plumbing, Winter Springs, FL, 98 02
- Began as plumber installing storm water/waste piping on new and expansion mall projects, Bay Hill Country Club, 6-story office building, restaurants, high schools
and luxury homes.
- Promoted to supervisor on construction of rest rooms/concession stands for 22-theater complex.
- Completed punch list for shell structure, multiplex theater and 2 restaurants in shopping mall.
Supervisor/Plumber, Snyder Plumbing, Winter Park, FL, 93 98
- Led installation at ambulatory surgery center in Lakeland, FL.
- Served as plumber at Marine Animal Food Processing Center at SeaWorld, Universal Studios Florida, Disney World, and 3 ambulatory surgery centers.
- Completed extensive remodeling and repair projects at numerous hospitals across Florida.
Plumber, Harper Mechanical, Sanford, FL, 92 93
- Assisted in installation of 24-inch steel chilled water supply/return lines and connected Liebert units with copper piping at Kennedy Space Center (PCC building).
- Installed all phases of piping in DOT building in Deland, FL and Disney World Recycling Center.
- Ran piping and connected Liebert system at Harris Corporation in Palm Bay, FL.
Supervisor/Plumber, Comprehensive Energy Services, Altamonte Springs, FL, 91 92
- Installed all phases of plumbing at various projects at Universal Studios Florida & Disney World.
Supervisor/Plumber, Central Florida Building Trades, Winter Park, FL, 90 91
- Led 6-member teams on installations of new Red Lobster and Olive Garden restaurants.
Plumber, Reliable Rate, Oviedo, FL, 89 90
- Completed residential installations and performed service work.
Plumber, Harper Mechanical, Sanford, FL, 88 89
- Installed 4-inch galvanized Victaulic water main and copper water piping at Orlando Arena.
Plumber, Various Companies, Florida, Virginia, Georgia and Mississippi, 73 88
- Started out as a plumbers helper; learned all aspects of the trade, beginning in residential and progressing through commercial and medical installations.
Journeymans Licenses in Fairfax, VA (1974), Macon, GA (1977) and Orlando, FL (1991)