Gary B. Barber, AIA
* Successful architectural business leader; led an architectural firm for 10+ years and a studio for 8 years.
* Extensive technical and design architectural experience.
* Design and construction of numerous commercial, residential, retail, medical, industrial, hospitality and mixed-use projects throughout the US.
* Extensive experience in all aspects of architectural project management including budgeting, due diligence, project planning, quality assurance, construction documents, construction administration, RFPs, and contracts.
* Experienced in client/developer contracts and negotiations.
* Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities.
* Recognized by clients for professionalism, enthusiasm and work ethic.
* Communicates clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
* Extensive experience in the architectural, development and construction fields, with extensive experience in code analysis, permitting, regulatory requirements and construction management.
* Designed and built a total of over 8.7 million square feet of building, with a total construction value of nearly $1.8 billion for a single client.
* Developed, implemented and monitored studio operational budgets and business plans; created studio design standards; created and implemented project development guidelines and quality assurance programs.
* Led the store design process for national account clients, ensuring that all designs met client and landlord design criteria, and that construction documents comply with architectural and quality standards, building codes and health and safety regulations.
* Responsible for developing and tracking budgets for all projects in my studio, review and qualification of bid tabulations and facilitating development of the clients ROI percentages for both new and existing markets.
* Directed studio of architectural project managers and job captains in collaboration with a cross-functional development team and external service providers on the design process for retail clients store development (nationally and internationally.)
* Led training and development of junior staff directly and indirectly managed, approved studio staffing decisions.
* Provided coaching, direction and leadership support to staff in order to maximize performance results for the business and client.
Principal/Founding Partnerurban solutions studio, LLC, Renton, WA
3/09 to present
Architectural, planning and design firm specializing in retail, hospitality, commercial and residential projects, planning, due diligence and government consulting.
Principal/Team LeaderMulvannyG2 Architecture, Bellevue, WA
8/99 to 9/08
Responsible for project design, documentation, bidding and contract negotiations; team and studio budgeting (P&L); public presentations, jurisdictional coordination; staffing; mentoring; due diligence investigations; consultant qualification and coordination; client contact; business development; specifications; and owner representation.
* Everett Riverfront District, Everett, WA
* Fashion Place Mall, Murray, UT
* Westlake Village Shopping Center, Daly City, CA
* La Brea Marketplace, Los Angeles, CA
* Costco Wholesale, various locations US and Internationally.
* Galvin Aviation Terminal Design Study, Seattle, WA
Senior Project ArchitectSteven P. Elkins Architects, Inc. P.S.
Bellevue, WA5/86 to 8/99
Responsible for project design, documentation, bidding and contract negotiations; office budgeting (P&L); public presentations, jurisdictional coordination; staffing ; marketing; business development; mentoring; due diligence investigations; consultant coordination; client coordination; specifications; and owner representation.
* Tramco Hangar 3, Paine Field, Everett, WA
* Villa Firenze Condominiums, Bellevue, WA
* Marie Calendars - Northgate, Seattle, WA
* Market Advertising Offices, Seattle, WA
* Safeway Stores, Inc., various locations in the Pacific Northwest
* Dairy Queen Northwest, Inc., various locations in the Pacific Northwest
* Associated Grocers, Inc., various locations in the Pacific Northwest
* Tacoma Pierce County Humane Society Facility, Tacoma, WA
Senior Project ManagerRobert Wells and Associates Architects
Bellevue, WA3/83 to 5/86
Responsible for project design, documentation, bidding, contract negotiations and construction administration.
* CDC Office Building, Anchorage, AK
* Genie Industries Manufacturing Facility, Redmond, WA
* Sea Galley Restaurants, various locations in the Pacific Northwest
* Lakewood Medical Center, Tacoma, WA
* Licensed Architect, State of Washington
* Professional Member, American Institute of Architects
* Graduate, Phoenix Institute of Technology, Phoenix, AZ