RICHARD P. BRINKMANN, LEED AP, BD + C, PROJECT MANAGER
Expertise in new construction, renovation, design development, building modernization, and historic preservation of commercial and residential buildings. Experience includes work for the Department of Defense via the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, Public Private Partnerships, H.U.D. Section 221 developments, private developers, city and county school systems, the National Park Service, and non-profits. Oversight of new construction from the ground up, facilities maintenance, ISO14001 compliance, and loss prevention programs, as well as in-house quality management programs.
Financial Management * Risk Mitigation * Code & Regulatory Compliance * Loss Prevention
Pre-Construction Analysis & Estimating * Contract Negotiations * Quality Control * Staff Recruiting & Training
Dispute Mediation & Resolution * Hands-on Experience & Supervision * Relationship Building * Value Engineering
BALFOUR BEATTY CONSTRUCTION2002 2009
One of top 20 international commercial construction firms
Senior Project Manager (20062009) $320 million military housing project Ft. Bliss, El Paso, TX and White Sands Missile Range, NM Demolition, abatement, sitework, & vertical construction of 1,381 new single family homes. Project included amenities, community centers, custom homes for senior enlisted and general officers. 4 separate neighborhoods built concurrently. Oversaw the project management department: 4 direct reports and 8 indirect reports.
* Implemented Standard Operating Procedures in new market footprint to include contracting, job management software, financial reporting, risk mitigation, document control, and scheduling.
* Delivered projects up to 1 year ahead of schedule and 3% under budget ($9 million savings).
* Generated $100 million or more in revenue per fiscal year.
* Completed work associated with over $180 million in non-bondable subcontracts.
* Negotiated $3 million of escalation claims to $0.
* Developed responsibility matrix & job definition system to assign responsibility and hold staff accountable.
* Created and maintained financial reporting to reflect cost, allowance status, buy-out contingency tracking, revenue projections, and profit to proactively identify and address issues.
Project Manager (20032006) $302 million military housing project Ft. Stewart & Hunter Army Air Field, Savannah, GA Demolition, abatement, sitework, & vertical construction of 1,865 new units in quadplex, duplex, & single-family housing configuration. Project included amenities, community centers, custom homes for senior enlisted and general officers. 8 neighborhoods with 6 built concurrently. Rapidly advanced from Assistant Project Manager to Acting Project Manager and then Project Manager. Oversaw the project management department: 2 direct reports and 5 indirect reports.
* Designed Standard Operating Procedures for risk mitigation, design development, document control, and reporting.
* Delivered projects up to 6 months ahead of schedule and 2% under budget ($6 million savings).
* Generated $80 million or more in revenue per fiscal year.
* Documented and verified all design reviews in final contract drawings.
* Developed scopes of work and maintained master format for distribution in bid packages.
* Implemented new risk mitigation procedures to reduce potential risk against $302 million Payment and Performance Bond.
* Implemented use of ConstructWare as Divisional Job Management Software for internal and external communication and documentation of the project.
* Key member of recruiting team that championed and rolled out human resources manual and college recruiting initiative for Division.
* Served on leadership team that spearheaded growth of Division from <$2 million startup to largest Division within the company at $800 million in annual revenue within a 6 year period.
Project Engineer (20022003) New business unit in Atlanta, GA Market:
* Pinnacle Homes at Rocky Ridge (H.U.D. Section 221), Douglasville, GA $15.5 million 300-unit apartment complex with clubhouse & amenities. Completed buyout process, created & maintained RFI process, procured and tracked all direct purchase material, performed final jobsite inspection, owner acceptance, HUD acceptance, final punch list completion, close-out, audit, and obtained final payment.
* The Preserve at Godley Station, Phase II (H.U.D. Section 221), Pooler, GA $7.9 million 160-unit apartment complex with pool house. Developed Divisional closeout procedures, completed the submittal process, compiled billing for submission to Architect/HUD Inspector/Owner, maintained all job files.
SKANSKA USA BUILDING, INC., Atlanta, GA2000 2002
One of top 20 international commercial construction firms
Project/Office Engineer and ISO 14001 Environmental Compliance Auditor Promoted after 5 months with company and tapped to be one of the Divisions environmental compliance auditors. Directed the timely, cost-efficient, and successful completion of such projects as:
* Fulton County Schools: $18.5 million 5 year project of renovation and remodeling at 50 schools; saved owner more than $2 million in GMP; safely completed all work in occupied buildings; identified and clarified scope of work and prepared budgets for over 1,000 future projects at 36 school sites.
* DeKalb County Schools: $11 million 104,000 SF new construction project of Wynbrooke Elementary School; reduced project schedule more than 1 month by developing and implementing material expediting and tracking process.
* Fulton County Schools: $12.5 million 112,000 SF new construction project of Creek View Elementary School; compiled manifest billing; approved subcontractor billing; maintained all job files and red-line drawings.
* Preconstruction Services Department: Converted subcontractor database to WinFax; resolved dispute between project owner and subcontractor; completed quantity & material takeoffs for hard bid work including schools and hospitals.
AMERICUS/SUMTER COUNTY HABITAT FOR HUMANITY, Americus, GA1998 2000
Construction Supervisor (AmeriCorps) Trained & supervised up to 40 adult volunteers in constructing affordable housing on a 144-lot subdivision project and additional smaller concurrent projects.
* Managed and trained volunteer crews in all non-mechanical phases of home construction.
* Trained homeowners in home maintenance and repair.
* Punched out new homes for final acceptance.
* Responded and repaired any warranty related items for homeowners.
US DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR, NATIONAL PARK SERVICE, Prattville, AL1998
Independent Architectural Contractor Documented historic cotton mill facilities for the Historic American Engineering Record and prepared architectural drawings that are archived in the Library of Congress.
B.S. Architecture University of Maryland, College Park, MD
Historic Preservation Study in Yorkshire, England and Cape May, NJ
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS, TRAINING, & CERTIFICATION
* U.S.G.B.C. LEED Accredited Professional Building Design + Construction
* U.S.A.C.E. / NAVFAC Construction Quality Management Certification
* U.S.G.B.C., Upstate New York Chapter Member
* U.S.G.B.C., New Mexico Former Member
* Council of Educational Facility Planners, GA Chapter Former Member
Leadership Development & Training Balfour Beatty Construction & Skanska USA
* Management Development Program through F.M.I. Consultants
* Jump Start Leadership Program
* GRID: Building Effective Teams
* GRID: Leadership Development & Modeling Partnering
* Project Management Training including Risk Management, Safety Orientation, OSHA 10 Hour, Trench Competency, Scaffold, Mobile Crane, Fall Safety, C.P.R. / First Aid, and Scheduling.
* Business Conduct Guideline Training
* Mission Alignment Process (MAP)
* Presentation Skills
* Water Intrusion/Mold Remediation
Microsoft Office Applications * Lotus IRIS Docs and Notes * Primavera P3 * Expedition * ConstructWare JD Edwards * Sure Track