OBJECTIVE: To obtain a challenging position in the field of environmental engineering that utilizes my proficiency and provides opportunities for advancement in creative and diversified projects.
M.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering Jan2008-May2010 GPA: 4.00
University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), Baltimore, MD
DIM (Diploma in Management ) May2005- June 2006
Indira Gandhi National Open University- India
B.S. in Civil Engineering June1997-July 2001 GPA: 3.50
Birla Vishwakarma Mahavidyalaya, Sardar Patel University, India
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS:
- Environmental engineer skilled at conducting research to identify and abate or eliminate sources of pollutants that affect people, wildlife and their environments.
- Experienced in analyzing and reporting measurements and observations of water, soil and sediment.
- Knowledge of environmental compliances (NEPA, EIS, RCRA, CERCLA).
- Knowledge and application of geographic information systems.
- Strong time management skills and ability to work under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both with written and verbal.
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and to work proactively.
- Strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
ArcGIS, MATLAB, HYSPLIT, LINDO (LP and IP for water resource analysis), AutoCAD, MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
Laboratory assessment to reduce DDx (DDT) bioaccumulation and porewater concentration in Frankford Inlet, PA, with palletized (SediMiteTM), granular activated carbon and ambersorb.
- Evaluate the native bio uptake potential of DDT present in Frankford Inlet to determine the effects on aquatic food web.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of different adsorbents amendments on the bioaccumulation and aqueous concentration of DDT.
- Evaluate toxicity studies on aquatic organisms using field contaminated sediment.
- Perform desorption kinetic studies to measure the fraction of DDT desorbed from sediment to overlying water after sediment amendments.
RELEVANT COURSE WORK:
Environmental Physicochemical Processes Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
Environmental Risk Assessment and Remediation Water Resource System Analysis
Environmental Chemistry Air Pollution and Air Quality Management
Environmental Biological Processes
CHIRAYU JOSHI (PAGE 2 OF 2)
Graduate Research Assistant Jan 2008 to March 2010
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
University of Maryland Baltimore County Baltimore, Maryland
Perform site assessment, including field sampling and analysis to evaluate the potential of toxic contaminants.
Research and implement new remediation approaches that are less expensive and less destructive of the environment compared to traditional approaches.
Develop, maintain and analyze databases and prepare technical reports based on the research.
Conduct literature searches using libraries and on-line sources to identify, locate and evaluate published materials.
Measure activated carbon and other black carbon in sediment which act as an adsorbent for hydrophobic organic chemicals using Shimadzu SSM 5000A (TOC analyzer).
Perform laboratory analysis following EPA methods for worm, sediment, and soil extraction to determine the removal and fate of contaminants before and after the amendments.
Conduct desorption studies on sediments collected from EPA superfund sites to measure the reduction in contaminants availability after the field amendment.
Perform DDT and PCBs sample analysis on Agilent GC 6890N ECD.
Assistant Technical Manager (ATM) Sept 2005 to Sept 2007
Home Loan Department, ICICI Ltd. Gujarat, India
Programmed and monitored residential and commercial construction projects.
Conducted technical site visits and prepared valuation reports calculating fair market value.
Coordinated and supervised engineers to finish the assigned projects in stipulated time and gained satisfied customers for the organization.
Verified detailed construction drawings as per standards and local byelaws.
Checked the construction quality for materials used, structural settlements and other negligence.
Customer Support Engineer Aug 2004 Sept 2005,
H & R Johnson (I) Ltd. Gujarat, India
Solved quality complaints for the mutual benefit of both company and clients.
Conducted product promotional seminars for architects, builders, engineers, contractors & masons.
Looked after the quality measures of products and made suggestions to the production unit for improving the products.
Assistant Civil Engineer Aug 2001 Aug 2004
Argon Engineer (pvt) Ltd. Gujarat, India
Detailed construction planning with budgeted quantities, including estimating and costing of the project.
Prepared and evaluated tenders for the project and tried to keep the project cost minimum without losing its efficiency.
Followed material management along with every construction activities.
Performed site visits to inspect the construction in accordance with the approved drawings.
Followed strict quality control and quality assurance on site; observed and employed safety measures on site.
Acted as liaison between various teams namely senior management, contractors, engineers, and clients for project updates.
Available Upon Request